I am as excited about the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year as I have been in a long time, and I have been a superintendent for more than 30 years. Many positive changes are occurring in the Troup County School System.
- Campus personnel continue improving the culture for students and employees.
- The Troup County School System is implementing strategies used by the nation’s most rapidly improving schools.
- The focus of professional development for employees during the 2016-2017 school year was Rigor/Relevance. Teachers are developing relationships with their students and discovering what is relevant to them. The rigor of instruction is improving through relationships and relevance. This emphasis will continue during the 2017-2018 school year.
- Read 180/System 44 was implemented during the 2016-2017 school year. This positive intervention for students with reading difficulties has already seen some successes within the first year of implementation.
- Literacy is a major initiative in the Troup County School System.
- The Lexile reading levels needed to be successful in the workforce and in life have been measured
- Students’ reading growth will be monitored several times throughout the year so we can share them with parents and make adjustments as needed.
- All teachers have received professional development and will be expected to integrate literacy into their curriculum.
- Troup County is on a path of growth and will add over 6,000 jobs in the next five years. The THINC College and Career Academy has a vital role in preparing the future workforce.
- The entire Troup County School System is implementing strategies to prepare students to be both college and career ready.
We are proud of the accomplishments of our students and employees. We look forward to many more this school year.
Cole Pugh, Ed.D.